Saturday, December 6, 2008

Is Santa real?

Well,as a few of you know Haiden has asked the dreaded question! Here is how it all went down. Haiden asked Ryan a few times if Santa was real. Ryan said yes and hoped that he would drop it. The third time Haiden said "Dad, are sure that Santa is real?" Ryan asked Haiden why he wanted to know. He said that some kids in his class told him that Santa wasn't real. Ryan's response was "go ask your mom" :) Makenna and Landon were around so I told him we would talk about it later. I too was hoping that he would forget about it, but sure enough as soon as Makenna and Landon were in bed he wanted to know the "truth". We told him that there was a Santa that lived a long time ago. He probably delivered toys to boys and girls in his village. We said that there isn't a man dressed in a red suit that has flying reindeer. We told him that we are the "Santa" who gives him gifts. His response. "So you really didn't send my letters to Santa in the mail?" We both had to laugh. Haiden gave a little laugh too. It was like it was all making sense in his head. We stressed that there still is the "spirit" of Santa that lives in our hearts. We let him know that everything is the same, except for that little piece of "Knowledge" he gained. I asked him if he was shocked about the whole thing, and he said "ya, a little". He seemed a little sad to know the truth. It seems like he still wants to believe, and I want him too to. Once you know, I don't think that it is the same. He said "I will still be excited to see what I get though." I thought this was funny. He said "When I see my Santa gift I will want to tell you thank you, but I will have to wait until Makenna and Landon aren't around." He is so sweet! He also wondered how mom and dad are able to afford Santa gifts and mom and dad gifts . We told him we have to save all year long! He thought that was pretty cool. He knows not to utter a peep of this information to anyone younger or older who still may believe in Santa. We enforce the rule: If you don't believe in Santa Clause than you don't get a gift from Santa!
Haiden is growing up so fast! I am sad that the time seems to be slipping threw our fingers, but am happy that he is such a great kid that we get to have in our lives. He is a blessing!

6 comments:

Grant, Stacey, Logan, Ellie, and Hutty said...

You have done such a great job with that kid! Can you give a me a few pointers???? That story is so sad. I don't think I ever got a real story from my parents. I think I didn't ever want to know the truth!

Fenton Family said...

Thanks alot Cheri, I can't believe that Santa doesn't exist! Just kiddin, thanks for the great explanation. I'll have to use that when Parker asks. I really hope that doesn't happen for a while. How cute is Haiden. I hope he has a great Christmas along with the rest of you.

Anonymous said...

Great job, Cheri!!! Brought tears to my eyes just thinking how you explained and how he processed it all. I will never forget when my brother told me in front of all his friends while walking home from school. I cried all the way home. Is this how we start not believing our parents and become rebellious? Now how about that tooth fairy? ha! He is a special boy!

Nikki said...

I have had this sunject brought up in my house. Tana left a note by my bed saying," Mom did you lie to me? Is santa real or not." I never answered I was not sure how to approach that one.

Nikki said...

Thank you, Thank you... You saved me. I had Katana read this post. Then asked if she had any questions. She was just teary eyed and said I can still think he is real if I want though. I said sure thing.
PS: He is a great kid! I adore all your kiddos.

Anonymous said...

What a great story!! The story brought tears to my eyes. I hope you guys have a great Christmas! Love ya, Tonia